Wednesday 9 April 2014

Luck or hard work?



Xolani & I...beer on our hands...celebrating our jobs...did we get the jobs by hard work or luck?

My colleague and I had a nice debate about people’s achievements and how they get to the point where they can afford things such as houses, cars and other staff. He said it’s all about luck and I said its hard work. We both agreed though that for one to achieve something, one needs to move from one point to another. I made an example about both our lives. He started doing some maintenance jobs and is now doing signage jobs and studying to better his life. He decided to move from point A to B and all in the name of hard work. It wasn’t luck but mere hard work; although he wishes to win the lottery one day…I hope he gets lucky. As for me, I was lazy in high school! Had I not been lazy at that time I would have went straight to University and maybe became a Radiographer as I always wanted but I didn’t. I realised that I was brilliant when I went to college and knew that my family would depend on me once I was done with my studies, therefore I was always motivated to be the best. I passed with distinctions and those who went with me to college know that I worked very hard. Like Xolani, I too was working hard to change the situation I had at the time. 

Xolani & I at the Avon Justine Walk...finishing the race, was it hard work or luck?
So, the big question was why other people remain the same when others achieve so much. I concluded by saying it’s all about hard work. Some people come from nowhere and end up somewhere because they chose to work hard at getting there. Some people have brilliant minds but are waiting for something to come to them instead of them going to get it. Xolani said, some people are just lucky in life and it’s true but he believes that the only time a situation could change is when a situation says, “Hi I have come to rescue you.” Like when he’ll win the lottery…one day and then do certain staff. I don’t believe in that, if I want something I go get. If it has come then yay!
It’s a difficult debate to engage in because we ended up agreeing to certain staff and then disagreeing…so, I guess it’s a two way thing, some are just lucky in life and others work very hard to get to where they want to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment