Tuesday 14 May 2013

We can never have the ultimate satisfaction

I was watching the movie Jerusalem last night. I must say, it is my favourite South African movie. I just can't get enough of it. The script is beautifully written and touches on the real issues of life. As I was watching the movie, there's a scene where a white lady is looking for her drug addicted brother who was with a Nigerian drug lord in Hillbrow. Now, Hillbrow is one of the dangerous places in Joburg. It is the “Gangster’s paradise”.
This guy looks like he has everything at home but keeps going to Hillbrow, where his “Happiness” seems to lie. He gets high on drugs and gets missing, leaving the family especially the sister with stress. He was then taken back by Lucky, the main character of the movie. I was captured by the lady's response to Lucky's question when he asked, "What's wrong with you white people? You live in big houses....and, and, and" I can't remember all that he said but the lady answered, "I guess when you rich, poverty becomes glamorous."

The reality clock stopped for a bit. I had to think long and hard over what that lady meant. I was really moved by her response. I mean there's no better way of explaining what she said, it is definitely on point. She meant exactly what most people feel on their everyday life! I sometimes do too. We look at our lives and we are never satisfied.
We can never be fulfilled by what we have. Everything that we are not in possession of becomes glamorous. It might be a “better” car, house, job,  someone's significant other....if we don't have it we see it as glamorous, something that we would like for ourselves.

What I concluded with though is that in life we can have all the money in the world but remain unsatisfied. It is not because we are not blessed or that we can't have everything we want. It is rather because; life doesn't have the ultimate satisfaction. The rich look at the poor and they see what the poor don't, which can be 'satisfactory' to them. The same goes for the poor, they yearn to have a share of that richness in their lives and they think it will make them happier than they are. Satisfaction at the end of it all will never fulfilled.

4 comments:

  1. Its quite important for individuals to be content with what they have and who they are,we have made things to define who we are which I think we have degraded ourselves in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is True! I guess that what you said can be a solution to the "satisfaction problem" we have as people. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Beautifully written, is funny i read this when i myself i'm dissatisfied by some of my life gifts granted to me.

    You just opened a blinded eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. That part of the movie opened by eyes too. We never realise how lucky we are until something or someone points it out us. You must use those gifts...

      Delete